STIR THINGS UP!
Our satisfaction comes from sharing what we know. Good cooking and great eating can be as easy as combining a few fresh ingredients with a little bit of know-how. Kristina, and our guest teachers, revel in introducing people to great food, simple formulas, tested techniques and creative recipes. Our goal, when you come to our kitchen, is to inspire you to try new things and to have more fun in your own kitchen.
Everyone is invited to participate in our cooking classes. We look forward to introducing you to novel ingredients, clever tools, as well as new techniques. Many of the ingredients Kristina uses in our classes are available in our pantry so that you can recreate the recipe at home.
We teach demonstration-style in our kitchen classroom and students sit up close to the instructor so that they can see, smell and taste every detail! Classes are limited to 12 students, depending on the program, to ensure that everyone can effectively participate.
To register for a class or an event, please call 831-393-1042 and be prepared to give you credit card information to secure your place in the class. For more information email Linda@stonecreekkitchen.com.
Cancellation policy: If you cannot attend the class you have registered for we will gladly reschedule you for another class in the future, if you call at least 3 days in advance. If you cannot be rescheduled another class, we will refund your fee. Less than 3 days notice will result in loss of your class fee unless your seat can be filled by another student. If Stone Creek Kitchen must cancel a class, you may elect to take another class in the future or obtain a refund, whichever you prefer.
Kristina Scrivani, co-proprietor of Stone Creek Kitchen, is an excellent cook and experienced teacher well known for the many cooking classes and tasting events she conducted in Whole Foods Market Salud! in Monterey’s Del Monte Center. She has been teaching cooking classes for almost 25 years. For more information about Kristina read her bio on the ABOUT US page.
Our cooking classes, dinner parties and tasting events sell out very quickly. Put your name on our email list (find link at foot of Home Page) to be among the first to hear about new additions to our schedule.
We maintain a Waiting List for each event because occasionally attendees will have to cancel their attendance and seats become available. If so, we call the folks on the Waiting List before we put out the word out to our email list subscribers. So, if you see a class you would really like to attend, that is already SOLD OUT, call us and request to be added to the Waiting List.
Also, if we have a lot of people on the Waiting List we might add an additional date for a popular class — and you will be the first person we call!
Class: Warm Up with Flavors of Thailand (offered on 2 nights)
Tuesday, August 23 SOLD OUT
Wednesday, August 24 SOLD OUT
6:30 to 8:30 pm
The flavors of Thailand are both calming and invigorating at the same time. The warmth of the people and the dishes they create is truly a gift. Cooking with Thai flavors at home is fun and very tasty. There are many ingredients that can be stocked in the dry pantry for you to enjoy in a flash! Class includes instruction, recipes, menu and a glass of wine.
- Tom Kah Kai (Coconut Milk Soup with Chicken)
- Second Dish – To be determined
- Banana Leaf wrapped Fish with Coconut Jasmin Rice
Class: Crazy Good Vegetarian
Tuesday, September 13 SOLD OUT
6:30 – 9:00 pm
Create 3 wholesome dishes that are both delicious and unique. Learn to incorporate more nutritious ingredients into every meal while never giving up flavor or satisfaction! This class will include instruction, recipes, menu tasting and glass of wine.
- Tahini Spinach Dip – healthy, creamy and wonderful!
- Giant Mushrooms stuffed with Roasted Tomatoes and Squash
- Curried Cauliflower Cous Cous w/ Mint & Pomegranate Seeds (that’s right cous cous made of Cauliflower!)
Dinner & A Movie in the Kitchen ~ The Hundred Foot Journey
Friday, September 16 Seats Available
Travel with us on our one hundred-foot journey to explore the warm colorful flavors that the Kadam family bring from India, to France, where they open a restaurant directly across the road from Madame Mallory’s Michelin-starred eatery. Let the sweet aromas of authentic spices, fragrant basmati rice and warm naan bread carry you away while this wonderful film plays silently on a giant screen in the kitchen. Viewing of the movie (starring Helen Mirren, Om Puri, Manish Dayal and Charlotte Le Bon is your homework assignment prior to coming to the dinner! Enjoy our interpretation of an Indian feast – via France. Seating at tables of 8 is communal (so you might sit next to someone you haven’t met yet) or entire tables can be reserved. Not suitable for vegetarians.
- Poppadum’s with a Duo of housemade Chutneys
- Grilled and spiced Quail glazed in Tamarind over a Juicy Tomato Salad bathed in a French Champagne Vinaigrette
- Grilled Vandouvan Lamb Chops
- Wild Mushroom Curry
- Spinach & Spiced Chickpea Stew
- Aromatic Saffron Elonga Basmati
- Housemade Naan Bread
- Warm Apple Tart Tartin and Green Cardamom Ice Cream
Class: Fish Techniques – The Odd Fellas
Tuesday, September 20 SOLD OUT
6:30 to 9:00 pm
This seafood extravaganza will focus on fish and techniques that most of us don’t prepare on a daily basis. Like the humble cod which does not get much respect. It’s not as sexy as salmon or as trendy as Tuna and yet it’s such a power house of possibilities. Whole fish are often overlooked in the seafood case at the grocery store and that’s a shame they are so easy and delicious. Seafood is a perfect lean protein for creating flavorful show stoppers at home. Learn tips and tricks to roast, grill and stew your way towards perfectly cooked fish in a flash at home. Class includes instruction, recipes, menu tasting and a glass of wine.
- Buttery Salt Cod and Soft Potato served with Sesame Crouton
- Pistachio crusted Ling Cod with mint and Pomegranate Molasses
- Whole, Braised Dorade stuffed with Heirloom Tomatoes & Herbs in a dry Riesling with Cream
Class: Entertaining with Family & Friends – Get Stuffed in the French Countryside
Wednesday, September 21 SOLD OUT
6:30 to 9:00 pm
Casual entertaining at home with friends can be one of the most rewarding arts to learn. This class focuses on creating formulas that work together time after time. This makes mixing and matching different food from around the world a snap! This class will focus on three distinct formulas taking their inspiration from the French countryside. An over the top menu that won’t make you sweat.
- Stuffed Scallop with Melty Morbier Cheese and Wild Mushrooms
- Stuffed Petite Hens with Pearl Onions Cognac and Cream
- Red leaf Salad with Artichoke and Goat Cheese bathed in Champagne Vinaigrette
Class: Pizza on the Grill
Thursday, September 22 SOLD OUT
6:30 – 8:30pm
Grilled Pizza is a really enjoyable and scrumptious way to entertain! Learn to make dough, sauces and prepare incredible toppings. From traditional style sausage, mushroom with olive to innovative Spiced Lamb with arugula and pickled onion it’s all hot off the grill. You don’t have to own a fancy pizza oven to make great pizza! This class is packed full of tips and tricks to inspire a lot of delicious fun! From a variety of ways to help your dough rise to getting that perfect crispy bottom crust! Class includes recipes, instruction, 3 pizza menu and wine tasting.
Class: Holiday Magic! – Pies and Tarts
Tuesday, October 4 SOLD OUT
6:30 – 8:30pm
Learn to create show stoppers at home, these pies and tarts will make your teeth hurt for the holidays! Class will include helpful tips and tricks that will make this form of baking a breeze. Always a fabulous gift, nothing says I care more than homemade pie!
- Rich Chocolate Cream Pie
- Roasted Apple Tart with Port Cherries and Crumble Topping
- Pear Buckle served with Caramel & Cardamom Whipped Cream
Class: The Joy of Roasting – Thanksgiving Made Easy
Wednesday, October 5
6:30 to 9:30 pm
Have a stress free “Turkey Day” this year after learning some new tricks and techniques for creating a hassle-free feast at home. Class includes: instruction, recipes, menu & wine tasting, plus pairing tips.
- Roasted Turkey
- Gravy and Zesty Cranberry Relish
- Savory Herb Stuffing, Buttery and Moist
- Corn Cake Stuffed Full of Fresh Corn just off the Cob
Class: Take your Holiday on a Magic Carpet Ride!
Thursday, October 6
6:30 – 9:00 pm
This class was so popular last year that we’re heading back to the Kasbah were the sights and smells are rich and exotic. Join us for this trip to the land of spice markets and savory Tagines so you can take your holiday feast on a magic carpet ride. In this class we will discover authentic ingredients while learning the simple techniques that build layers of exotic flavors.
- Olives, Harissa, Warm Flat Bread, Sheep Cheese and Dates
- Red Leafy Salad with Pomegranate Seeds and Blood Oranges
- Turkey B’stila – Savory Spiced Turkey and Almonds in Sweet Flakey Pastry
- Pumpkin Cous Cous with Honey and Mint
Class: Holiday Small Bites for Serious Partiers!
Tuesday, October 11
6:30 to 9:00
Create 5 little works of art just in time for you to WOW your friends and family with stylish mouthwatering treats that are as beautiful as they are tasty. Learn tips and tricks for making small bite entertaining a snap. This class will include instruction, recipes, menu and wine tasting!
- Learn to create your own extraordinary cheese board! How to pick them, how to display them, and what to serve with them.
- Soft Boiled Quail Eggs on Buttery Rye Toast Points with Soft Fromage Blanc bathed in Caviar (served with sparkling wine)
- Duck Rillette
- Beef Tenderloin in Puff Pastry Jewel Boxes with Horseradish Cream and Pink Peppercorns
- Petite Crab Cakes with Smokey Sexy Aioli
- Grilled Shrimp filled Artichoke with Feta Garlic Dressing
Dinner in the Kitchen featuring WRATH Wines
Feast Your Wicked Wrath! A Dark & Stormy Dinner
Friday, October 14
The final Dinner in the Kitchen of 2016 promises to be the most spectacular. Once again, we are partnering with one of our favorite wineries, Wrath, for the October dinner.
Wrath is a small production, local winery that routinely receives 90+ ratings for its limited releases. It is some of the finest wine we have we have ever had the pleasure of tasting and we are excited to introduce you to this winery.
At the dinner you will meet the winemaker, Sabrine Rodems, and learn about the wines she made and will pour for you. Christopher Whaley, Wrath’s Tasting Room & Marketing Manager will also attend and lend his expertise to this special evening.
Join us in our cozy teaching kitchen and watch your dinner is prepared. Guests are seated communally at tables of 8 (so you might sit next to someone you haven’t met yet) or entire tables may be reserved. This event not suitable for vegetarians.
- Welcome Swallow: Wrath 2015 Ex Anima Sauvignon Blanc
- Crispy Potato and Bacalou Cigars
Wine: Wrath 2014 Ex Anima Chardonnay
- Intermezzo: Wrath 2014 San Saba Chardonnay
- The Bermuda Triangle on Red Leaf Salad bathed in Red Wine Vinaigrette with Pumpking Seeds and Pink Peppercorns
Wine: Wrath 2014 Swan / 828 Pinot Noir
- Charred Pumpkin in tortured Shallot Cream over Stuffed Gnocchi
Wine: Wrath 2014 115 /667 Pinot Noir
- Bloody Steak Drowned in Wrath San Saba Syrah and Cherry Reduction and Bitter Chocolate
Wine: Wrath 2013 San Saba Syrah and
Wine: Wrath 2014 Tondré Grapefield Pinot Noir
- Old Fashioned Apple Cake in Burnt Caramel
Wine: Wrath 2015 Ex Dolio Falanghina
Class: Holiday Side Dishes that Sing
6:30 – 8:30pm
Learn 3 recipes for classic side dishes each with a tantalizing new twist. Feel proud at your next holiday celebration with these new formulas in your apron pocket. Class includes instruction, recipes, menu and a glass of wine.
- Cheesy Corn Casserole
- Roasted Pumpkin bathed in Pumpkin Seed Pesto
- Treasure Chest Rice Pilaf with Brussel Sprout Leaves, Pine Nuts, Fried Shallots and sooooo much more!
Class: Holiday Pan Sauces and Gravies
Tuesday, October 25
6:30 – 8:30pm
Autumn is a magical time to serve rich earthy sauces and gravies which are a perfect finish to roasted meats and poultry. This class focuses on techniques that can be used many different ways. If demi-glace and pan juices seem complicated this is the class for you! Learn tips and tricks for making consistently delicious sauces and gravies. Class includes instruction, recipes, menu tasting and a glass of wine.
- Red Wine Reduction for Lamb, Beef or Duck
- Hollandaise and Béarnaise for Eggs, Ham and Vegetables
- Cognac Shallot Cream for Veal Chop or Mushrooms
This completes our event program for 2016. The schedule for 2017 will be published in November and we have some great things planned for the first quarter ~ so stay tuned!
REGISTRATION: To register for a class or an event, please come into the store, or call 831-393-1042 and be prepared to give your credit card information.
Cancellation policy: If you cannot attend the event you have registered for we will gladly reschedule you for another in the future or refund your fee with at least 3 days notice. Less than 3 day notice will result in loss of your fee unless we can sell your seat.
Note: Most of our classes are taught demonstration style and are not “hands-on.”